What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

What's in a name?

Background – I had been journaling and collecting S.C.O.U.T.’s (strange cases of uncanny timing) for over nine months when I decided I needed a few synonyms for the word “coincidence”.  I was using the word so much that at times my writing was sounding redundant and choppy.  I looked up “coincidence” on Thesaurus.com and read the word bank for synonyms.  One of the synonyms was “circumstance”, and when you scrolled down farther, the word “circumstance” had its own synonym suggestions.  This is the entry I saw:
Main Entry:  circumstance 
Part of Speech:  noun 
Definition:  situation, condition 
Synonyms:  * Moira, accident, action, adjunct, affair, article, case, cause, * coincidence, concern, contingency, crisis, destiny, detail, doom, element, episode, event, exigency, fact, factor, fate, feature, fortuity, go, happening, happenstance, incident, intervention, item, juncture, kismet…etc., etc.
*The first synonym is “Moira” and the ninth synonym is “coincidence”.
S.C.O.U.T.  -  My middle name is Moira.  It didn’t escape me that the words “destiny”, “fate” and “kismet” (the word of Turkish origin for fate or destiny) were also in this word bank.  I’m not exaggerating when I say you could have blown me over with a feather.  Truth be told, this freaked me out a little.  I have the distinct feeling that I’m being walked down a garden path and have no choice but to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment