What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Monday, December 5, 2011

September 1, 2010 - Zucchinis from heaven


Background – Stuffed zucchini was one of my mother’s specialties and one of my favorites!  It was best if you could get a hold of an enormous, freshly home-grown zucchini and cook it up right away.  My mother, who was much beloved at her place of work, had a friend who would, every now and again, provide her with just such a zucchini; this friend I speak of not only grew the most enormous zucchinis I have ever seen to this very day, but also had an enormous crush on my adorable mom.  Worked for me!

My mother had been gone for five years that July, when I decided that my heart was strong enough from the loss of her to attempt a home grown zucchini of my own.  I was hoping to resurrect some of the fond, delicious memories from my childhood, while creating a few new ones for my kids.  The problem was that my thumbs are as pink as pink can be, not so much as a tint of green to either one.   I tried growing my zucchini in a standing planter, one similar to the Topsy Turvy Tomato Grower (I know, pathetic) and as you might guess produced nothing larger than a gherkin.  I was disappointed, but not surprised and sadly gave up my quest to duplicate my mother’s culinary masterpiece.

S.C.O.U.T. - During the time that I was fighting my gardening ineptitude and trying to produce something green and edible, I was also fighting another ongoing battle, my neighbors “garden”; which more resembled an unruly jungle with no sense of boundaries, or property lines.  On a regular basis I was forced to cut, rip and even uproot entire plants in order to try and preserve our fenced space.  I was successful in this task except for one stubborn vine; a vine that even when picked up and thrown as far as I could hurl it, would magically appear back in my yard within days, snaking its way over the fence and down into the middle of our lawn.   At first I thought that this creep show vine was mocking me and got a little freaked out when it once again defied my attempts to relocate it to the other side of the fence and appeared in my yard.

I was freaked out until, standing in my kitchen safely behind the closed door (I now wasn’t sure this thing was really just a plant), I saw a large green gourd attached to the thickest part of the vine.  It was an enormous zucchini; one that would have gotten at least a nod of recognition from my mother’s old friend.  My sweet neighbor, a very “Zen” man of Indian descent, was more than happy to give me the vegetable as it had clearly stated where it belonged.  I smiled and thanked him for his generosity, and then my mother for her gift, even as the chill crept down my spine; uncanny, simply uncanny how I had indeed gotten my large, home-grown zucchini.

My goofy dog Scout once again just smiles knowingly.  I can tell he’s thinking of my mother.  You see, she loved him too and therefore he had left this plant alone each time it appeared on our side of the fence, even as he tore through all the surrounding landscape in his game of “Destroy The Yard”; again, simply uncanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment