What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

January 13, 2012 - "Reach out and touch faith", or faith will reach out and touch you


Background – My dear friend Sujatha and I were having one of our deep, philosophical discussions at the gym this morning.  This particular discussion centered on faith, and whether faith, prayer and “positive thinking” have measurable, “real life” effects.  I was telling her about a study I had read about which concluded that there was no measurable effect from prayer among the subjects that were studied.  I have thought a lot about that study over the last few years, being a fan of science, and wondered how that fits into my current belief system as it seems to contradict my belief in the existence of the “Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing”.  I have come to believe that it may be difficult if not impossible to actually measure these types of events.  Perhaps this is a case of “seeing what you want to see”, but as I go along my doubts about “uncanny timing” being “just a coincidence” continue to fade.  One possible explanation is that, in the world of quantum physics, one of the biggest challenges scientists face in their work is that just the act of observing and trying to measure an event has the power to alter the outcome of said event.  Hmmm?  Interesting!  I think of it as trying to capture a puff of smoke in your hand.  If you stand back and look, your eyes can capture the entire cloud, but when you reach for it...poof!  It slips right through your fingers.

You can draw your own conclusions on this subject, my point was just to tell you that the discussion that Sujatha and I were having this morning centered on having faith in things that science cannot, as of yet, prove.

S.C.O.U.T. - Sujatha scooted out of the gym and left me to my sweat and my IPod shuffle.  I clicked back in and finished the song that I had been enjoying when Sujatha and I began our conversation.  I then waited as the next song in the Shuffles “random” line-up of my 200+ songs cued up and began to play….“Your Own Personal Jesus” with the popular chorus “Reach out and touch faith” came barreling through my head phones, sending chills down my spine.

This song had not made its way through the random line-up for months – in fact, it had been so long that at first I couldn’t remember adding it to my play list at all.  How completely uncanny that it would choose this moment to surface?

Reach out and touch faith indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment