What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

October 22, 2010 - Siddartha you sly old dog


Background – I was substituting for half a day today so I had the morning to putts around the house.  The hubby is also working from home today and we got talking about one of our kids and a mistake he made.  The conversations grew to encompass mistakes that all of our kids have made and then finally about kids and mistakes in general.  We concluded, in all our parenting wisdom, that you have to let kids make their mistakes and take the consequences, even if it means that they end up failing in certain areas.  We agreed that this is one of the hardest parts of parenting; but sheltering, rescuing and heading off all the pain that bad decisions have to offer only puts them at a disadvantage as they grow.  It was a good discussion, and we consoled each other about all the pain that was sure to come if we chose to live by this creed.  It’s so difficult to watch your child suffer, especially when you know they did it to themselves!  My husband and I were finished talking and silently turned back to our work, the hint of doubt that we would actually be able to stick to our guns and watch our kids fail hanging in the air.

S.C.O.U.T.One hour later I plopped down to read the book my son - the one who had made the mistake and spurred the conversation with my husband - had given me.  The book is “Siddartha” by Herman Hesse.  In the first few pages I learn that Siddartha has a son.  I thought absolutely nothing of this fact until a few pages later when Siddartha’s friend begins to give him parenting advice…

Who protected Siddartha the Samana from Samsara, from sin, greed and folly?  Could his father’s piety, his teacher’s exhortations, his own knowledge, his own seeking, protect him?  Which father, which teacher could prevent him from living his own life, from soiling himself with life, from loading himself with sin, from swallowing the bitter drink himself, from finding his own path?  Do you think, my dear friend, that anybody is spared this path?  Perhaps your little son, because you would like to see him spared sorrow and pain and disillusionment?  But if you were to die ten times for him, you would not alter his destiny in the slightest.”

…a complete repeat of my conversation with my husband - although I have to give Herman Hesse a few extra credit points for the fancy-smancy language.    Oh, how I would love to be able to ask Siddartha a few questions myself.  Where o’where would I begin?

Simply uncanny.

2 comments:

  1. Simply uncanny. From more than one standpoint.
    I have been following your blog for a little while, and find it rather refreshing.
    Sometimes, I too, struggle with decisions in life. And more often than not, I have found odd happenings that just cannot seem to be happenstance!
    And, more than once I have found my answers here when searching for the "truth".
    Simply uncanny? I think not.
    Thank you for sharing your stories. They are often solutions to my problems. I often find peace in your words, and today's story is no exception. "You would not alter his destiny in the slightest," seem to be the exact words that I have been searching for. My weight has been lifted and my struggle now seems to have a meaning. Thank you for sharing! I look forward to more stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ShellBell for your insights and kind words :) I refuse to let the daily hub-bub blind me to the wonder that goes on right in front of each of every one of us! There is so much more to this existence than most people are recognizing!

      Delete