What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Monday, September 6, 2010

March 18, 2010 - Screw you Hannibal Lecter

Background - We had just recently watched the movie “The Silence of the Lambs” and I was having one of my daydream type “mental walk-abouts”. In this break from reality I was agent Starling from the movie and was at the mental asylum interviewing Dr. Hannibal Lecter through the famous glass enclosed cell (I know… I have issues, but I can’t tell you the S.C.O.U.T. if I don’t let you into the strangeness of some of my day to day musings, and don‘t tell me you‘ve never imagined yourself as a character from a movie. Just don‘t, because I don‘t believe you.).

Dr. Lecter had just finished telling me what a cheesy dressing rube I am simply by looking at me and sniffing my cheap drug store bought perfume. He was now trying intimidate me by staring me down with his creepy, black beady eyes. Unlike the real character, Clarice Starling, I let him have it and proceeded to tell him that he doesn’t know me and if that three inch thick glass wasn’t there that I would kick his ass (this scene must have tapped into my less than opulent childhood and I identified with being called out for not having the coolest of cloths!), and finished off by telling him “look buddy, you of all people should know that the cloths don‘t make the man, or the woman, you psycho. At least I don‘t eat people”. It was about now that I realized how far this little mental charade had gone and turned on the radio to try and hitch a ride back to reality, laughing at myself yet once again.

S.C.O.U.T. - The very first thing I hear is the George Michael song “Freedom 90” from the 1980’s (seriously, when is the last time you heard that song randomly on the radio?!), and the lyrics that come booming through my car radio are… “Sometimes the cloths do not make the man… freedom, freedom… ”. I started laughing out loud. Absolutely uncanny timing that those very words would show up within seconds of me thinking them!

Who am I to argue with George Michael.  The cloths don't make the man (or woman) it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment