What does it mean?


You've been thinking about somone. Somone you haven't heard from in weeks, months or even years, and within a short period of time you receive some kind of communication from them. Twice I received letters from a woman I had worked with years before within a day of thinking about her for the first time in a long period of time. The second instance I even stopped in front of the mailbox and had the idea that there was going to be a letter from her because it had already happened once and sure enough, there was a letter in the box. My question is obvious. What is this phenomenon that boils down to a "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing"?

Is it God? Is it the Universe? Entanglement? Are our brains Quantum computers? Is it the "Law of Attraction"?, or is it all nothing more than a coincidence? Carl Jung called it synchronicity and it happens all the time. Does it happen to you? It happens to me and I find myself wondering "What does it mean?". Decide for yourself as you follow my diary of another "Strange Case Of Uncanny Timing", also known as a S.C.O.U.T!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

May 23, 2010 - Working on the bucket list!

Background -  One of my sons and I keep a running bucket list, adding and crossing off items as we go. The items on the list run the entire range of lifetime fantasies to be accomplished before we “kick the bucket” and include everything from a trip to New Zealand (my list) to eating wonder white bread (my sons list - I refuse to buy wonder white bread due to its woefully lacking nutritional profile. My son believes this to be child abuse).

The bucket list came up this particular night because we had been watching the Discovery channel which ran a brief piece on the aurora borealis, or Northern Lights, and what is thought to cause them. I informed my bucket list partner that this was on my list. I had always wanted to go to Alaska to see this amazing phenomenon. He informed me that he still hadn’t had a slice of wonder white bread and therefore didn’t care if I ever got to Alaska. I accepted his candor and we smiled our truce to one another, heading off to bed.

S.C.O.U.T.  -  Plopping down, I cracked open the old “Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader” and finished the previous section about Einstein and nuclear fission and then moved onto the next segment titled “Kristian’s Cannon”.  This title meant absolutely nothing to me until I hit the second paragraph and read about a kooky Norwegian physicist from the late 1800’s who was searching for…

                      “a solution to one of the great unsolved mysteries

                of the natural world -the Northern Lights -or aurora borealis”

This beautiful, swirling atmospheric phenomenon has been believed to be messengers of the gods, signs of apocalypse and even souls of the dead. How strange to be seeing this information just moments after my discussion with my son. What uncanny timing!

I did my usual search of the 494 page book to see where else the aurora borealis may be listed (after all, if its mentioned 25 other times throughout the text this wouldn’t be nearly as strange) and, also as usual, found that this is the only page where you will find aurora borealis or Northern Lights mentioned in this book. All the usual questions apply as the tingle crept down my spine. Was it a coincidence? Did I attract it? Are God and the universe just getting on the conversation of my life? Am I manifesting my own reality in a quantum manner?

While my search for answers continues, I will say that if Uncle John is trying to tell me that since my son has to wait for wonder white bread then I’ll just have to read about the Northern Lights in a book, I don’t accept that… but perhaps now there’s a “wonder white” picnic in our summer plans (just to be sure!), and of course we’ll be bringing our goofy dog Scout along!

No comments:

Post a Comment